Early-Morning Fire Disrupts Residence Hall
No students were injured, but one hall sustained damage.
About 840 students were evacuated during an early-morning fire Thursday, May 17 that started in the lounge in B-3 West at the Aberdeen-Inverness residence hall. There were no injuries.
The fire started at 3:30 a.m. The Riverside Fire Department responded within six minutes and had the fire under control in about 30 minutes. They used ladders to quickly get seven panicked students down from a third-floor outside ledge. Other students were able to evacuate through the hallways and stairways of the building.
The cause of the fire has been determined to be equipment malfunction.
Most residents were able to return the same day, but about 40 students who live in that hall will be placed in other rooms for the rest of the academic year because of smoke damage. There was no structural damage to the building, which was constructed in 1959. The furnishings in the lounge area are a complete loss, said UCR Director of Housing Andy Plumley.
Repair and cleaning will begin immediately. If major renovations are necessary, it will trigger bringing the building up to new building codes, which will require making bathrooms handicapped accessible, and installing fire sprinklers. There is no firm cost estimate.